St. Nicholas Church on the Old Town Square has one of the most remarkable church interiors in Prague
This monumental Baroque church of St. Nicholas on Prague Old Town Square is a masterpiece created by a genius of his time Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer. Completed in 1737, the church was first owned by the Catholic Church, later by the Orthodox Church and now it belongs to the Czechoslovak Hussite Church founded here in 1920.
The original design of the ceiling, frescoes (by K. D. Assam), stucco decoration (by B. Spinetti) and statues (by A. Braun) are a masterful example of the Baroque sense of dramatic effect. Completed by a splendid chandelier, donated to the Orthodox Church by Russian Tsar Alexander II. in 1880, St. Nicholas church on Old Town Square has one of the most impressive church interiors in Prague.